Friday 18 January 2008

Time for Reading


I haven't felt like knitting really so I decided to catch up on some reading. It's the Richard & Judy Book Club again and this time the 10 books are:-
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
Random Acts of Heroic Love by Danny Scheinmann
Rose of Sebastopol by Katharine McMahon
A Quiet Belief in Angels by Roger Jon Ellory
Notes from an Exhibition by Patrick Gale
Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris
Visible World by Mark Slouka
Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones
Blood River by Tim Butcher
The Welsh Girl by Peter Ho Davies

The TV programme has already covered A Thousand Splendid Suns and although they loved it and Jeanne did too, I'm not all that interested in reading it so I'm skipping it.....I read Visible World by Mark Slouka instead as the back of the book said it was set in Prague and I really loved it there when I visited in 2006. I was really disappointed with the book though and found it hard to stick with until the end, it's very disjointed and because some parts of it deal with the Nazi occupation of Czechoslovakia there are some very sad and gruesome passages which are not nice to read.
The next book was much better - 'Notes from an Exhibition' by Patrick Gale. It's a complicated story to explain but it tells the story of a woman, Rachel, who is a highly gifted Artist but who also has Bi-Polar disorder. I loved every word of it.....
I've now started 'The Rose of Sebastopol' and I'll let you know what it's like after the weekend!

No comments: