Thursday 24 May 2007

Handpainted Yarn

Secret Squirrel sent me some undyed Trekking yarn and some food colouring in my April SP10 package and I decided I was sick of ebay and sick of tidying up so I got busy.
I soaked the yarn for about an hour in 8 pints of water and 1 cup of white vinegar. Then I painted on blue and yellow food colouring with a paint brush. Left it to sit for another hour or so and then cooked it for 5 minutes in my microwave. Here is my very first attempt at dyeing in the sink having a wash after it had cooked - look how clear the water is - the dye must have stuck fast!!!
I gave it a gentle wring and hung it up overnight to dry. This morning, since I don't have a swift and it looked pretty gruesome in its stripy hank, I used the kitchen table to rewind the skein into this rather pretty looking hank.
What do you think?

4 comments:

Secret Squirrel said...

That is AMAZING! You did a brilliant job!!!

vegasangelbrat said...

Wow that turned out really nice..love the colors! Great Job!!

Anonymous said...

I think its beautiful!

Anonymous said...

It looks AWESOME!!!