Thursday 22 February 2007

We'll Try to Be a Bit Greener Today

I know, it's taken me a lot longer to catch on to Blogging than everyone else but I'm here now and ready to start.

So Why Blog? I was inspired by a fabulous, hilarious book - 'A Life Stripped Bare' by Leo Hickman, in which the author tries to live a Greener Life. He does all the easy things - changing the lightbulbs, closing doors, turning the heating down etc and after that, life gets much more difficult. It's laugh out loud funny and I can't recommend it enough.

Anyway, my family and I have done all the easy things - here's a shortened list of what we've done so far:-

Changed (almost) all the lightbulbs for low energy ones. (We only change them when they stop working so it takes a while to swap over)
Draught-proofed the front and back doors of the house.
Started a compost bin.
Recycled everything that the Council collects.
Donated all usable items to Charity Shops and Freecycle.
Unplugged all the appliances we don't use.
Yelled at the kids 20 times a day to 'shut the door' and 'turn that light off'.

At least we think these are the easy ones - for some people I know, even taking stuff to the Charity Shop is too much like hard work & into the bin it goes.... I wondered if my life would turn out to be as funny as Leo's if we tried harder to be Green. So here's my blog to share how we get on.


No comments: