OK, so my challenges for this month were...
Thrifty Knitters Sock Club - Earl Grey or Sydney. I managed to get one Sydney sock as far as the ankle but then realised that it wouldn't go past my instep/heel so I need to frog it and make the bigger size. March's patterns are both really interesting and I have ordered two Knitpicks circular needles to try socks on two circulars as one of them is a Cat Bordhi pattern.
Sock Stash Elimination Campaign - I have been unsuccessful with Bellatrix so thought about Nagini, but thinking was all I did and I'm ashamed to say that I did not even cast on for these socks. Will try harder in March!
Sock a Month KAL - nope I failed to finish a pair of socks throughout February so I won't win this one either!!
And the reason for all this failure? I was busy with Bettna and then JUST TOO TIRED TO KNIT, and believe me that's really, really tired. Bettna should be washed and blocked tomorrow ready for its photocall so I hope to post pictures soon.
Wish me luck for March, I need to finish something!
Friday, 29 February 2008
OK, so my challenges for this month were...
Well my Secret Swap email address is defunct but at least Blogger will still let me in!
Here are my answers to the Ravenclaw House Quiz:-
1. What colorless and odourless potion forces the drinker to tell the truth?
2. If the spell to Apparate goes wrong and leaves half of you behind, you have been what?
3. Who wrote the Standard Books of Spells Grades 1 and 2?
4. What is it called when brother wands meet?
5. Name the charm used by Ludo at the World Cup to amplify his voice.
6. For what is the charm Aparecium used?
Makes Invisible Ink visible again
7. What charm requires the use of a Secret-Keeper?
8. What color should the Strengthening Potion be?
9. What plants are used in preparing a confusing potion?
Scurvy-grass, Lovage and Sneezewort
10. What condition is cured by Glumbumble?
Some forms of hysteria
11. What potion makes a werewolf safe so he can keep his mind when he transforms, and what substance makes it useless?
Wolfsbane Potion makes a werewolf safe but sugar makes it useless.
12. When does Fluxwood, an ingredient used in making Polyjuice Potion, have to be picked?
13. What color should a Shrinking Solution be?
14. What potion is made from asphodel and wormwood?
15. For what are Jobberknoll feathers used?
Memory potions and truth serums.
Fingers crossed ......
Posted by NotSoCarbonNeutral at Friday, February 29, 2008
Tuesday, 19 February 2008
Here are my answers:-
1. With whom does Ginny go to the Yule Ball?
2. When Harry arrives at the Burrow and Mrs. Weasley makes them all dinner the night before they leave for the Quidditch World Cup, what does her wand turn into?
b. rubber chicken
3. Since some of the sixth-year girls didn't have any quills on them, what did they think Krum might sign their hats in?
4. How old does the Quick Quotes Quill say that Rita Skeeter is?
5. What color cloak is wormtail wearing in the Riddle house?
6. What color is "Mad Eye" Moody's magical eye?
7. What color are the robes that Rita Skeeter was wearing when Harry meets her at the Weighing of the Wands ceremony?
8. What does Sirius Black tell Harry, Ron and Hermione to call him when speaking around anyone else?
9. Which team beat Wales, disqualifying them from competing for the Quidditch World Cup?
10. What does Madame Maxime say is the only thing her steeds will drink?
c. single-malt whisky (please note the Scottish spelling of Whisky) - Whiskey is Irish and I'm sure Madame Maxine drinks Scotch.
Picture Scavenger Hunt
Goblet of Fire
Dragon from first challenge
Madam Poppy Pomfrey
Posted by NotSoCarbonNeutral at Tuesday, February 19, 2008
Thursday, 14 February 2008
Not much knitting going on here - I have a pain up the inside of my right arm. Half-term holiday is nearly over and I haven't done half of the things I needed to.....
Here are my answers to the Ravenclaw House Quiz (with a bit of help from the HP Lexicon)
1. What is Professor McGonnagall's first name? Minerva
2. Who is the librarian of Hogwarts? Madam Irma Pince
3. What is Madam Rosmerta's job? Landlady of the Three Broomsticks
4. What is Rita Skeeter's secret? She's an unregistered animagus.
5. Madam Hooch is instructor of what subject? Games
6. Who is Parvati Patil's best friend? Lavender Brown
7. What Quidditch position does Cho Chang play? Seeker for Ravenclaw
8. What is the name of Fleur Delacour's little sister? Gabrielle
9. Who is professor of Divination? Sybill Trelawney
10. Who wrote "A History of Magic"? Bathilda Bagshot
Posted by NotSoCarbonNeutral at Thursday, February 14, 2008
Thursday, 7 February 2008
I only have one Sleeve/Body Panel left to go and then it's on to the sewing up.
Posted by NotSoCarbonNeutral at Thursday, February 07, 2008
Friday, 1 February 2008
This is the third and final group/KAL I intend to join in 2008 (note, I said 'intend' so I reserve the right to change my mind, especially if Pink Lemon Twist does another Mystery Stole.) You can join the Sock Stash Elimination Campaign group too by clicking on the link. Each month our Leader issues a set of 'Orders' telling us what kind of project to knit using Sock Yarn from our Stash. When you've finished you post your project to the Blog - there's a monthly prize too! There's also a group on Ravelry for sharing FO's and asking advice, chatting etc.
My effort for January is Swing Thing from Magknits January 2006. The main body is made with Patons Aran but the narrow coloured bands are made with Sophie's Toes - yes the same stuff that also made the Jaywalkers! I'm not sure if it will count but the 'Orders' for January were for something for a Baby and I don't know any Babies other than my own wee one!!
So here is the best shot of the finished coat/cardigan (I'll compain yet again about how bad Digital Cameras are at taking pictures of red things!!).
And here is a close-up of the sock yarn element for the record...
Typically, Miranda said 'Me no like it' when I tried to put it on her for the photo...I'm hoping she'll wear it soon though. It's a lovely coat/cardigan and was enjoyable knitting. I'd be happy to make another one if she eventually weras this one!
Posted by NotSoCarbonNeutral at Friday, February 01, 2008